Monday, September 28, 2009

my other stash part 2 and folding

I showed Neo-Man all the other sites and the stashes out there and then showed him what I posted. He just kinda laughed and said "you were a little light on YOUR stash weren't you?"
He's right- after looking at everyones stash I realize that all the scraps I have accumulated from friends DOES count as part of my stash.
So, like Kare in OH I have to revise my original stash posting. Here goes...


Photobucket
These tubs are full of scraps of fabrics given to me by my friends- since I do alot of charity quilts, I tend to make them scrappy- and these tubs fit nicely under my LA frame. Stacked on top the tubs is extra stuffing donated to me- I'll probably use it for the dogs beds.

Photobucket
These bags have FQ that were part of the scraps that were donated to me. I have them sorted by color or theme. I also have scraps of batting that I use for baby quilts folded here.

Since my original post, I have received many emails asking how I fold my fabric so neatly. So I figured I would post a pic tutorial on the benefits of folding this way. Here goes.

FOLDING FABRIC 101

Photobucket
Take your long ruler, some are 6 inches mine is 5 inches wide. You lay your fabric out folded with the selvages together. Start by flipping the fabric over the ruler, and repeat, over and over and over....

Photobucket
Photobucket
once finished, pull your ruler out of the fabric and fold it over- there you have a nice neat stack.


Photobucket
Now you can add more pieces you have folded and they all line up evenly.

Now to answer the question- "HOW TO GET ONE OUT OF THE STACK?" This really is easy.

Photobucket
Say you want the blue fabric out of the middle of the stack in the shelves.

Photobucket
insert your ruler into the fabric stack ABOVE THE BLUE FABRIC you want

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Then gently lift up on the ruler, releasing the pressure on the fabric and gently pull the blue fabric out of the stack.

OR
Photobucket

Photobucket
You place your ruler UNDER the fabrics you want and place your fingers in the folds of the blue & purple fabric and gently pull on these while pushing back on the rest of the stack.





Now say you have a fold of fabric you want to place into the stack- here's how.


Photobucket
Slide your ruler into the stack where you want the fabric to go. Pull the fabrics ABOVE THE RULER OUT ON THE RULER.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Place the blue & purple fabric on the ruler and then stack the others on top of these. Slide the whole stack back in place ontop of the ruler- they will glide easily into place. Then pull out the ruler and you are done!

I recently went to a friends house to help her organize her stash that was OUT OF CONTROL. She had no idea what fabric she had because it was all in tubs still in the bags from the LQS.

Photobucket
Here we have it all out and are beginning to fold it and organize the half yards and FQ's

Photobucket
Here is the finished room all cleaned up.

Photobucket
and this is what she owns- her pride and joy! And luck her- she has a hugh cedar closet to store it all in... nice!

Photobucket
and all her jelly rolls unrolled and folded filled this rack.

It was a pleasure being able to fondle her stash and help her get it all organized. We had fun...
Neo-Man is waiting for me to get that enthusiastic about cleaning mine up.... maybe I will hold out for a cedar closet.... good excuse for me!

Lesson over!
Later Darlin'

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Thanks for the great info. One day I will have to take the day and do my room.