Monday, August 24, 2009

Like a Bolt of Lightning

Here is something I NEVER thought of....
I have a surge protector for my electric outlets on the computer and the tv..... BUT
Do YOU have your TV coax cable running through the surge protector?
Here is why you should: this is my cedar tree at the end of my driveway

On the morning of Sunday, Aug 2nd, a lightning bolt from a storm that rolled through the area struck my tree.

Blowing the bark off the tree and splitting the tree open...

This is where the bolt traveled through the tree, into the ground and across the mulch and slammed into the concrete- blowing a hole in the dirt. This is Neo-Mans foot for size comparison. That red stuff is bark laying on the dark mulch.

This is the bark from the tree, strewn ALL over the driveway...

Now about that surge protector-
The bolt came in via the cable line.....
shorting out the cable box...

burning out the HDMI port on my new Hitachi plasma tv...
blowing out the modem for cable...

blowing out the Dell desktop pc...
and surging power through my printers - ruined them!!


Now, the fun begins... getting all the info for the insurance company.

And shopping for a NEW HD SURGE PROTECTOR WITH THE CABLE PORT

Lessons Learned- the hard way!

Oh yeah, and it added a few more gray hairs to DMIL.
Neo-Man had to peel her and the dog Tasha off the ceiling after the bolt struck...

1 comment:

Nanny Goats In Panties said...

I love this post and how you explain it through your pics. My husband is an electrical engineer in the utility industry and I'm going to have to tell him about this. He's always worried about power surges during storms and stuff and would love to hear about your "photo essay." Of course, then he'll say something like, "I told you so!"